Heartburn is more common than you think, in fact; It affects up to 20% of people at least once a week. Some, experience it more often. Although it is not usually life-threatening, persistent or repeated attacks may be a symptom of a more serious condition called GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease.
So what exactly is heartburn?
It is an uncomfortable feeling of burning or warmth in the chest. If left untreated it can limit your daily activities and post further complications. The pain is felt in the chest but actually has nothing to do with the heart, although the name suggests so. There are many medicines available to treat this condition but if you want to go for a natural remedy then why not use aloe juice for heartburn?
How Will Aloe Vera Help Treat Heartburn?
Most people are aware of Aloe’s many uses on the skin due to its moisturizing and healing properties, but very few know that taking the juice internally also provides many health benefits. Aloe vera has the power to soothe an irritated esophagus and has been used for centuries to help relieve symptoms of heartburn and other stomach-related problems. It works by reducing the acidity of gastric juice in the stomach. Although there is little scientific evidence for these claims, many people have actually treated their heartburn by drinking the juice every day.
According to this site, 80% have found relief from drinking aloe juice while the other 20% have not seen any difference in their symptoms.
It is recommended to take a quarter cup of aloe juice half an hour before meals. If you are taking the herb internally for the first time, you may want to start with a smaller dose because you may be sensitive to it. If you experience diarrhea or stomach cramps, it means you have taken too much. Another important thing to remember is that the juice you are consuming should not contain aloe latex, aloin or aloe-main compounds as these are very powerful laxatives. Also, if you are going to buy commercially prepared aloe, make sure you get one that is specifically made for internal use.
What Causes Heartburn?
Once the food enters the stomach, the stomach acid will start digesting the food. Our stomach is protected from its own acid by a special mucous layer but the esophagus does not have this protection. The lower esophageal sphincter must close completely and if it does not, reflux of stomach acid can damage or irritate the esophagus. This is mainly what causes that irritation.
- Aloe Vera Lotion For Psoriasis: How it helps You Manage Psoriasis?
- Does Aloe Vera Under Eyes Treatment Work? (before and after
Eating certain foods such as chocolate, spicy foods, citrus fruits, mint, vinegar and anything that is very fatty can cause heartburn. Beverages or drinks to avoid include coffee, beer, tea, soda, citrus juices, and wine. In addition to certain foods and beverages, the condition of your body can also trigger acid reflux. Lying on your back, lying on your right side, or bending over is not good for heartburn. To help with your symptoms, you might try one of these nail pillows.
They are not exactly cheap but they are definitely worth your money. Tight clothing or anything that increases pressure in the stomach may also be a culprit for your frequent acid reflux episodes. Some medications and medical conditions can also increase your chances of getting heartburn.
How to Make Your Own Aloe Juice for Heartburn
1.) Cut off a large leaf from your Aloe Vera plant and then hold it upside down so that the resin comes out.
2.) Cut the leaf in half. Using a paring knife, file off the gel. Others are more comfortable cutting the top first, then the sides, and finally the bottom. Make sure you only get the clear parts. The yellow material contains aloe latex which is a known laxative and can cause diarrhea and abdominal cramps.
3.) Place the gel in a blender and add water or your favorite fruit juice. Coconut milk or sweetened almond milk can also be used. Blend everything together for a few seconds and serve.